Monday, September 7, 2009

A Visit To Castle Rock Nursery

It was off to a favorite nursery the other day and was I excited! The weather was great and the nursery is a quaint little place that I like going to. I love the way they display their flowers, the variety that they have in plants and sizes and there is seating everywhere. This comes in handy for people who can't walk very far, like myself after having major back surgery I don't walk long distances well. They have something to sit on every so often. The service is great too - they just get points everywhere so why wouldn't I go back? Click any of the pictures for larger views.


I do like their primitive old zig zag fence dividers for plants.
This antique treadle sewing machine makes a great display.
A bench, also for sale, with Hens and Chicks - oops forgot to check and see if they had any that I don't. Guess that means another trip back.
Some big tropical looking plants - click on picture for larger view.
Another thing I like about this nursery is they still carry lots of the 4" or 5" pots. I've noticed the last couple of years that nurseries are carrying the larger pots and no more small ones. Not everyone wants a huge honkin' plant to start with. Not everyone can afford the price of the bigger ones and myself I figure if I kill it I won't have so much invested! And I do kill! But I do buy many plants in larger sizes if it's something I'm more familiar with or a really slow grower. They even had a nice selection of Heathers in a smaller size.
I love these varigated Irises - I had forgotten I saw them here before and they are so pretty.
Look at this big old jade plant - I didn't know they bloomed. I meant to ask how old it was and forgot - another trip I guess!
Well I'm off to pay - isn't this just the cutest little building? That Magnolia on the left is very definitely on my wish list - but not today.
I did buy a few flowers. I purchased Heuchera Snow Angel after seeing it the other day on Tina's In The Garden post. I am so happy I did too because the lady at the nursery said she won't be getting any more. She's tried everywhere and apparently Snow Angel doesn't make babies fast enough so they won't be selling her. Isn't that just like big business - she's not producing fast enough so she's outta here. I chose to get a Heuchera that I already have. I liked it more than all of the other choices so why not? Top left that pretty wine colored one is Plum Pudding. I also purchased a few dwarf Snapdragons. I'm really excited that although they are an annual and we had horrible weather all of the ones I bought last year are coming back - in fact they never really left! I also picked up a Sedum Purple Emperor which I kicked myself last year for not getting. Now it's mine! And a Veronica spicata 'Giles van Hees' which I hope gets a bit taller than they said. I didn't get the taller one because my purple one falls over all the time and my pink shorter one disappeared - it was the perfect size. Of course, the one that was perfect died and the purple 'fall on my face' one lives forever. Don't get me wrong I do like it when it's behaving itself or I wouldn't have it. Oh and a couple of little geraniums.

No comments:

Post a Comment