Monday, August 31, 2009

Moss And Ferns Everywhere

Driving home from an estate sale the other day there was this big branch sticking out almost to the road. It was covered with moss and the whole effect of this group of trees was very pretty. I decided I had to have a picture of it. I still haven't figured out why these trees are so covered in moss to start with because it's a very open area with lots of light. Guess the moss comes from the thickness of trees and brush behind. I got to looking closer and not only are they completely covered with moss but there are hundreds of little ferns growing out of the trees. Hmmm I'd never noticed that before.
Back in a little deeper are ferns growing out of the trunks and everywhere.
I drove a little more and there is a waterfall tucked back in the trees that I always like seeing on my way into town.
There are also a couple of places along the way where hundreds of ferns are growing out of this rock hill along side the road. No wonder I take the back roads rather than I-5. It's a much prettier and laid back trip into town when I go this way.
And the moss continues when I get home. I was so glad to see some posts on moss lately and how much everyone (almost everyone) loves it. I've read that they have quit fighting it in their lawns and buying expensive moss killers and love it growing on everything around their places. Yesterday I even got the recipe for a 'Moss Milkshake' to grow your own over at Tootsie Time. This is good because below you see what was once my really pretty mauve colored brick trimming my flowerbeds all around the house is now my really pretty moss covered brick . . .
Moss covered stumps (a couple we didn't remove) in my woodland garden and more moss covered bricks at the bottom.
Another mossy stump that my wheelbarrow sits on and moss at the bottom of the fir tree
It just goes on and on. We do draw the line on our roof and other important places we don't want rotted out but mostly we're pretty covered in moss around here surrounded by tall fir trees. I've gotta add that the fir needles that cover every square inch don't really do anything for me though. O'well I guess I can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment