Friday, July 17, 2009

More New Flowers and A Tree

For my anniversary I had decided to buy either a Magnolia or a Weeping Cherry tree. Yesterday we went shopping and I didn't end up with either. I saw some of both but the Cherry trees were done blooming and I wasn't going to trust a tag that said it was the color I wanted so I decided to wait until next year on that one. I did find some Magnolias with blooms but they just didn't seem like quite the shade I had been wanting. Then I saw the perfect tree - one that would be planted in the lower lawn off to the left of the deck. Not far from a couple of birdbaths where the birds can sit in the tree waiting in line to bathe. They use to do that with a Butterfly Bush we had right next to the deck but the roots got big and we were concerned about that and moved it. This tree, we decided, would be out farther more into the middle area between the deck and the bank. It was a beautiful Crabapple tree called Brandywine. Even the name fit my yard. I had seen a few Crabapple trees on peoples blogs and really liked them in pictures. And I had seen one at the nursery I did a post on but the color was a little off. Brandywine was perfect so I went home with that.

And a couple of Sempervivum King George Hens & Chicks. These are the deep burgandy color I've had a hard time finding and they even have the webbing in them.
We stopped by another place where I found some tall phlox which is something I've been wanting but don't see many of. I bought Flame Purple and Blue Paradise. I already have one kind of phlox and it's about 18" tall so I was happy to find Blue Paradise will get 2 to 3 feet tall and Flame Purple will be about 16" or so. The leaves of one have a reddish tint to them for a nice contrast.
Last I purchased a blue Thunderbird Evergreen Huckleberry bush as a novelty for the garden - it'll be a race to get some of the berries before the birds and deer. I have wild red huckleberry bushes on each of my three old growth stumps and the taste always reminds me of growing up and eating wild ones so I thought we might like the blue ones too. It will get about 6 feet tall by 5 feet wide. It's loaded with blooms so I can't wait to taste the berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment