Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Flowers Are Finally Blooming . . .

We’re getting a jump on the weeding around this place. This shady side area started out to be a fern garden and then I started adding other things. A friend put in Calla Lilies and in front of them she put a green with white trim Hosta and it looked so good – almost like it was one flower because the white in the Hosta matched the Calla so well. I don’t know if you can see it in the picture or not but what the nursery sold me as 2 of the same Hostas are not looking alike and didn’t last year either. One is a lot bigger and has more of a yellow cast to the trim. Not to mention they are a lot bigger than what I had wanted. So I think I’ll just get a couple of smaller ones and put these somewhere else. In this garden I have a couple of ferns, Callas, Hardy Fuchsia santa claus, New Zealand Brass Buttons looks like a little fern groundcover and Saxifraga London Pride in the front right corner. It’s bloom has a long stem sticking up with this tiny little flower but after taking the picture and looking closely I couldn’t believe how beautiful it is – like someone took a brush and spattered paint all over it. I never would have expected to see a bloom like this on Saxifraga London Pride
Around the corner in a still shady bed are 5 Heucheras (3 different kinds), 2 different Columbines, 2 different Bleeding Hearts, Jacobs Ladder, Heathers, Armeria, Jack Frost, Hardy Orchid, Pulmonaria, Hardy Fuchsia Double Otto and 2 Hostas. I put my new Heuchera Snow Angel in an old tub I found at an estate sale to give it added height behind Heuchera Plum Pudding, who is behind Jack Frost but hopefully will be taller when full grown. If not I’ll have to move it over a bit. I had Bob divide up the Callas and line them all across the bed to give a green background through the summer. It should look great when it fills in.
Bleeding Hearts
Wild Bleeding Hearts
Heuchera Snow Angel
Heuchera Plum Pudding
Jacobs Ladder
The Columbines are blooming and first is my newest one Winky Rose.
A front shot
Cardinal Song
Purple/wine colored Columbine with white center.
Front shot.
I had mentioned in an earlier post that I thought this Purple Columbine was 3 ½ to 4 feet tall so I just measured it in full bloom and it is 45” tall.
A closer view.
A wash tub with Columbine Clementine Rose and some Creeping Charlie blooming.
Columbine Clementine Rose
Creeping Charlie blooming and he smells sooooo good.
Looks like I'll have to do more tomorrow because there is still more blooming for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment